Introduction of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 in October 2006 has brought about key changes in the way fire safety legislation implemented and managed within the workplace.
The most significant changes include:
- Dispensing with the old “fire certificate” regime.
- Placing the onerous on those in charge of non-domestic premises to assess fire risk and implement appropriate control measures.
- The appointment of competent “Responsible Person” to organise and arrange for implementation of suitable and sufficient control measures to address the risk associated with fire in any non-domestic setting.
The control measures necessary include:
- Preparing a Fire Risk Management Policy which is based on fire risk assessment.
- Clearly defined roles and responsibilities for those in charge of a non-domestic premise.
- Appointment of fire wardens and provision of relevant training to enable them to discharge their responsibilities safely and effectively.
- Providing suitable fire safety precautions, installing critical life safety systems and ensuring that these are tested, inspected and maintained in good working order.
- Providing employees with basic fire safety awareness training and providing them with information regarding the correct action to take in event of a fire emergency at work.
- Liaising with all parties (including the Local Fire Authority as necessary) to ensure that fire safety matters which can affect adjoining premises are clearly communicated to those who need such information.
Although the requirement of a fire certificate is now a “thing of the past” the Local Fire Authority will continue to enforce fire safety legislation. Those in charge of non-domestic premises will be expected to demonstrate compliance with the new legislation and must satisfy a visiting Fire Officer that suitable arrangements have been made to combat fire safety risks.
Our Fire Safety Management Services
GEP Safety Consultants provide services to clients and the appointed “Responsible Persons” to enable them to develop a risk based management policy and demonstrate their compliance with the new fire safety regulations.
Our services include:
- Preparation of Fire Risk Assessments.
- Preparation of Fire Management Plans.
- Provision of Fire Warden training.
- Provision of General Fire Safety Training to staff.
- Preparation of Fire Log Books.